Braces used to be a dreaded rite of passage for teenagers. However, 21st century innovation has changed the angst into a cool way to straighten teeth. In addition, adults who decided later in life to achieve a perfect smile do not have to worry about the jokes from friends and family anymore. While the old version of braces is still an option, there is a new kid on the block. Invisalign offers the next generation treatment in the discipline of orthodontics.
Southington orthodontist offices have implemented this new option with zeal for all their patients that would benefit. They start with a thorough examination to see what the best treatment plan should be before delivering outstanding results. In addition, steps are taken to educate each user about caring for their teeth and the maintenance of Invisalign. Once the decision is made to use this technique, patients are surprised at just how simple the process is. Here is a detailed review about the latest tool in the work to produce a brilliant smile.
What Is Invisalign?
The best place to start is to describe the fundamentals of Invisalign. It is made of a special clear thermoplastic material. The material has a smooth quality that feels comfortable while wearing it. Specifically, there is a predetermined number of ‘aligner trays’ that have been customized to your particular needs. The appearance is similar to a mouth guard. Invisalign simply slips over the teeth with a snug fit. The number of trays determines the adjustments made by your orthodontist. This also sets the timeframe needed to complete this revolutionary therapy. The only thing you have to do is change to a new tray every couple of weeks. During the treatment, people are not even aware that you are wearing them.
Pros & Cons of the Invisalign Procedure
- Since it is completely plastic, there are no traditional wires.
- This means there is no need for adjustments in the form of tightening brackets.
- In addition, nothing is attached to your teeth.
- It is easy to remove them so that you can brush and floss as usual. Then simply pop it back in.
- Cleaning Invisalign is easy with the cleaning kit or just brush them, and rinse in warm water.
- Just like brushing and cleaning – take them out during meals, eat as you normally would.
- For those that participate in sports, simply remove it before play.
- Kiss that special person without the worry of wires.
- An added plus is that teeth grinders have a new tool for saving their enamel.
- Finally, the convenience and comfort factor rate is a 10.
- All orthodontic issues cannot be resolved with Invisalign.
- If the desired results cannot be achieved, then traditional braces may be required.
- Remembering to wear your tray can be a challenge.
- Removing your tray to eat in public can be uncomfortable, but a quick trip to the bathroom is an option.
- Some patients experience a slight speech impediment during the process.
- Invisalign can be an expensive proposition.
Who is the Best Candidate?
As referenced in the con section above, some orthodontic conditions will not benefit from this procedure. However, the list that see impeccable results is broad. It covers from slightly crooked to a variety of biting problems and even severe malocclusions. That is why the initial exam is crucial to deciding if this is for your specific case. Your orthodontist takes extreme care in getting it right so that the desired outcome is realized. Here are the issues corrected by Invisalign.
- Gaps – abnormal development in the jawbone causes this condition.
- Overbites – orthodontist call this ‘overjet’. This happens when top teeth bite over the bottom.
- Underbites – causes for this include the top or bottom jawbone overgrowing each other.
- Open Bites – this occurs when top and bottom teeth do not touch due to a genetic defect or from thumb sucking.
- Overcrowded – when there is not enough room in the jawbone for all your teeth, overcrowding occurs.
- Crossbite – this issue is the result of the top and bottom jaws not aligning with each other.
What makes Invisalign unique among others?
Traditional braces, other clear alternatives and Invisalign can help achieve a beautiful smile. However, there are some unique features that also affect the results and a patient’s lifestyle. Here is a short list of those obvious differences between the therapies.
- There are no metal brackets with Invisalign, which offers an aesthetic appeal during treatment.
- With braces, the orthodontist has to make regularly scheduled adjustments.
- On an average, braces require a visit to your orthodontist every six weeks.
- Invisalign may take longer to achieve the desired results.
- Patients with braces will need a retainer for up to two years after they are removed.
- There is no pain with Invisalign.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Procedure
- What number of patients has used Invisalign technology? – Over 3 million individuals around the globe have benefited from this procedure.
- Will my insurance cover the cost of Invisalign? – If you have orthodontic coverage, then it should work the same as braces. Check with your insurance carrier for details.
- How long does it take for the treatment? – The answer to this question varies based on the condition being treated, and the age of the patient. However, adults average to one to two years, while teens depend on their orthodontist recommendation.
- What happens when treatment has been completed? – Just like braces, it is recommended that retainers be used for a specific amount of time to combat teeth memory. They will want to go back to their old position without it.
When it is time to straighten your teeth, consider this procedure as a plan of action. Invisalign in Southington can be found with ease. Now that you have a detailed background on this transformational option, make the call to Team Demas and get started today. Before you know it, you will be wearing a dazzling smile.
Team Demas Orthodontics
27 Meriden Ave #2a, Southington, CT 06489, USA
What Makes Invisalign Unique Among Others?