Smile for a Lifetime Foundation is a charitable non-profit organization that provides orthodontic care to individuals who may not have the opportunity to acquire assistance. Launched in 2008, Smile for a Lifetime Foundation aims to reach individuals with financial challenges, special situations and orthodontic needs. The Foundation sponsors the orthodontic care of hundreds of patients each year. Smile for a Lifetime Foundation has participating orthodontists throughout the US. Each chapter has its own local Screening Committee that chooses patients to be treated by the Foundation.
It is our mission to create self-confidence, inspire hope and change the lives of children in our community in a dramatic way. The gift of a smile can do all this for a deserving, underserved individual who, in turn, can use this gift to better themselves and our Connecticut community.
Dr. Don Demas
Dr. Don Demas received his dental degree from the University Of Illinois College of Dentistry. He also completed a two-year residency in pediatric dentistry at the University of Connecticut Health Center.
Prior to becoming an orthodontic specialist, Dr. Demas was in private practice for four years specializing in pediatric dentistry.
He then earned a Certificate in Orthodontics and a Master’s Degree at the University of Maryland. From there, he attended the University of Kentucky for a one-year fellowship in the treatment of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders and the use of dental appliances in sleep apnea.
Dr. Demas is active in professional organizations for orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, TMJ, and sleep disorders. He is a guest speaker at the University of Connecticut Health Center, University of Maryland, and is delighted to represent the Southington Regional Smile for a Lifetime Chapter.
Guidelines for Applying for an Smile for a Lifetime Scholarship
- Applicant questionnaire must be handwritten and answered by the applicant.
- Applicant must be a resident of Connecticut.
- Applicant must have a significant aesthetic need for braces.
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need.
- Applicant must be between 11 to 18 years old (For further questions please contact your local Smile for a Lifetime Chapter)
- Applicant must be a currently enrolled student
- Applicant should demonstrate a positive attitude
- Applicant must agree to follow the treatment plan and demonstrate the ability and commitment to make all appointments on time
- Applicant is encouraged to display involvement and leadership in extracurricular activities
- Must be willing during the treatment period to “pay it forward” by completing 10-40 hours of community service.
Download the S4L Application here.
Two Letters of Recommendation are mandatory. Please do not submit more than two letters and limit each reference letter to one page each. Please type or print clearly with black ink (no pencil). Letters of recommendations may be written by teachers/coaches, counselors, dentists or spiritual leader etc. Letters from family members or friends will not be accepted.
Photos with a full smile & teeth showing must be included with application as instructed.
The application, letters of reference and pictures will not be returned and will become property of Smile for a Lifetime Foundation.
Applications will be reviewed on a quarterly basis. Applications are received on an ongoing basis. Each applicant will be notified of approval or denial after the end of each selection process.
Return the completed application, applicant questionnaire and dentist recommendation, letters of recommendation, photos and treatment contract together in one packet to:
Please return application to
27 Meriden Ave, Suite 2A,
Southington, CT 06489
Smile For A Lifetime Foundation