Your Guide to Brushing and Flossing While Wearing Orthodontic Appliances
For many people who have just received an orthodontic appliance, it can be difficult to know exactly how to begin brushing your teeth with the appliance installed. Brushing and flossing with an orthodontic appliance is still required even though you may be seeing an orthodontist regularly. You also need to continue seeing your dentist regularly for checkups and regular cleaning throughout the duration of your orthodontic treatment. The following set of instructions are designed to help you along the way to learn how to brush and floss with an orthodontic appliance.
- The first step to brushing is to apply a small amount of toothpaste onto the bristles of your toothbrush and begin gently placing the bristles around your teeth where the gum and your teeth meet.
- Over each tooth spend at least 10 seconds brushing in a circular motion all around the gum line until each tooth has received its own care.
- Make sure to clean the back of your teeth as well as the arches and to be certain that if you are wearing braces you brush these areas slowly.
- Be sure to brush the roof of your mouth and your tongue as well. From here you can do the finishing brush of the lower teeth and gum line and all the way up to your upper teeth brushing down once again. Brushing in multiple patterns ensures a clean mouth and that any food that might be caught in your orthodontic appliance is removed.
- For flossing with braces or at orthodontic appliance threading the floss can be a bit of a challenge. Make sure to carefully thread on wax floss between the braces and the wire and between your teeth.
- Once you have threaded the floss between this area you can work to floss carefully around your braces and around your teeth, this will remove any excess food that has been caught between the dental appliance or in your teeth.
- Floss around your gums to remove any excess food that might be trapped in the gum line as well.
- Floss around each and every tooth to ensure a clean mouth.
Brushing and Flossing